Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Journaling Helps to Heal Your Heart

Keeping a journal has many benefits. The most obvious is that it is a way to record time, keep track of accomplishments, disappointments and transformations. The added benefits are very therapeutic. For example, keeping a journal to record your feelings and thoughts provides the writer with a safe, non-judgemental place to work through what is going on for them. Here are some basic guidelines for journaling that will help you or someone you know to get started:
ü  The journal is private property and unless the invitation is extended, it is for the writer’s eyes only.
ü  Include a statement like the following in the front of the journal: This journal is a record of my private thoughts. It is not intended to hurt anyone. It is intended to help me heal. Please respect my privacy and do not read.
ü  Pace yourself when writing about deep emotional pain. Do this by giving yourself permission to stop at the end of a page or two pages. Fold the page over from the outside to the binding to indicate to you that this was painful piece of work and you may not want to read it again.
ü  Do not judge while writing in a journal. Do not worry about grammar, spelling or punctuation. This is a place to safely tuck your innermost thoughts and feelings. Getting hung up on the “mechanics of writing” will interfere with the process.
ü  Use different coloured pens and pencils for added flair.
ü  Draw pictures or glue photos/images and words into the journal.
ü  Set aside private time to write in your journal. Ask to not be disturbed. Turn off the phone or go someplace very quiet and serene.
ü  After you finish journaling, take time to ease back into your daily routine. Sip hot tea, take a bath, or go for a brisk walk.

2 comments:

  1. Following a sudden and unexpected loss a few years ago, I suffered from night terrors that completely overwhelmed me. I couldn't sleep - I was afraid to - couldn't think clearly, and pretty much wanted to die because of them.

    I tried talking to friends but they didn't want to hear about my loss over and over again. Instead of listening, they tried to help by urging me to put my loss in the past, something I was unable to do. So I started a dream journal, recording some of the details of my night terrors.

    Re-reading the journal entries a week or so after I had written them helped me identify several recurring symbols and dream themes. This helped me to identify, access and understand the emotions I was feeling at the time. Eventually, I was able to understand why I was so totally overwhelmed. When I got to that point, I was able to start the healing process.

    Journals - a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Journaling really helped me a lot in January. Things came out in my writing that I didn't even realize I was feeling or holding on to. The death of my best friend, almost six years ago, came up at some point during this time. I started a blog in February which has been a great way for me to release my feelings about my friend's death or any other issues!

    Writing = Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete