Monday, March 7, 2011

Forgiveness ~ Is it About Letting Someone off the Hook?

“Father, forgive me for I have sinned." This came out of my mouth every Saturday at confession. The religious teachings to seek forgiveness DID NOT teach me anything about forgiveness ~ what it really is and why it is so important.  I just knew (because the teachings told me) that I was born a sinner and would always be a sinner. Thankfully, I have recovered from that tainted teaching!

So what is forgiveness? Forgiveness is about loving yourself enough to let go of the pain and the hurt inflicted on you by another. Forgiving them does not in any way let them off the hook for their actions. They are still accountable for the harm they did and you have the right to not allow the experience back into your life again. Forgiveness is about releasing the inner turmoil so that you can move forward with your life, in a rich and meaningful way. This may or may not include the other person.

If you choose to not forgive ~ and yes, it is a choice ~ it is you who ultimately pays the price. To hold on to anger and resentment secures your path in a deep sludge that I guarantee will spill over into your relationships and future experiences. On the other hand, if you choose to forgive, the benefit to yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually is immeasurable.

What does forgiveness mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment