Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Country Music (and other genres) Define a Broken Heart

Music has tremendous healing power. From classic to rock and from gospel to pop, everyone has their favourite song that stirs something within them. For me, it’s country music. Perhaps it is because (for me) no other musical genre defines a broken heart like country music does.
The success of country music is founded on real life experiences: lovers cheating, people lying, broken hearts, disappointment, tragedy and hope.  From the Jim Reeve’s classic, He’ll Have to Go to The Dance by Garth Brooks, something is moved within me. I feel my emotions and connect with feelings that are stirred deep within. Songs like Dolly Parton’s toe-tapping Better Get to Livin’ inspire me and remind me to do and be all that I can be. Others, like Johnny Reid’s Thank You bring tears to my eyes as I am flooded with thoughts of all who have stood by me over the years.
Music is a key component of funerals and memorial services. The reason being is exactly because of what I have said here… it has the ability to connect people to their emotions so they feel what they need to feel. It’s important that people understand the powerful force of music - it can unleash a grief burst at the most unexpected times. You could be sitting in a waiting room, driving your car, or walking through a grocery store when a song comes on overhead and sparks a memory. Sometimes, you may be able to muster your way through it and simply take note of the emotions that arise. Other times, don’t be surprised if you are rendered to a sobbing heap. Are you crazy? Are you going off the deep end? Nope. It’s normal and it happens to everyone.
If music has the power to trigger deep emotions unexpectedly, then it stands to reason that we can consciously use music to elevate our mood and/or release feelings of sadness and sorrow. Not everyone appreciates country music, but other genres speak to heartbreak and life experiences too. It is all a matter of preference and no once choice is right or wrong… it’s whatever works for you. The grief journey is unique to each of us and it is our responsibility to do the work of healing… and if music holds the power of healing for you, then use it!
The next time you listen to your favourite song, pay attention to the words and to what you feel in your body, mind and spirit. I guarantee there is a song to heal us all.

3 comments:

  1. http://www.myspace.com/#!/dakotajaymusic/music/songs/diamond-on-79555590

    Hi Jannelle, You might enjoy this country singer songwriter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I really like this post. Music has played a big part in my own healing. I even have a page on my blog that contains all the songs I include in my posts because those songs have brought out emotions or have made things more clear to me. Music is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jay! I checked it out... very nice.
    Thank you Amanda!

    ReplyDelete