Monday, May 2, 2011

Today You Would Be….







   Dedicated to my brother Brian. His birthday was  May 3rd.




It’s a strange feeling when the birth date of a deceased loved one rolls around. It’s easy to remember them and the start of the day begins with, “Today you would be….” It’s a common practice for people to pay tribute on the anniversary of their death, but acknowledging them on their birthday doesn’t usually happen. It’s the opposite in our family.

I don’t see anything wrong with remembering the person and celebrating who they were on what would have been a special day for them. On my mom’s birthday, I like to prepare all her favourite types of food. My sisters and I will chuckle, because although we live hundreds of miles apart, our menus will be identical as are our intentions. We even have a birthday cake.

When the birthday of your loved one comes around, get out and do something fun. Go for a picnic, walk on the beach, take a child to lunch, or linger at the spa. Make it whatever you want it to be, but use it for a catalyst to remind yourself to breathe and to LIVE your life to the fullest. I guarantee you will be smiled upon from heaven.


Photo Credit: maple / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
<p><a href="http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=1521">Image: maple / FreeDigitalPhotos.net</a></p>

No comments:

Post a Comment