Friday, November 25, 2011

Popeye Isn’t the Only One with Amazing Strength

We know Popeye got his strength from eating spinach. It is true... spinach is a good source of iron and magnesium, which are needed to build muscle. But muscle strength isn’t necessarily the strength others observe in us. Often our true strength shows through our ability to overcome adversity.
I consider myself to be an extremely strong person. So are my children, my siblings and their children. Our mother was tall and slight, but she had the strength of Samson, both emotionally and spiritually and she passed it on to all of us.
Besides my mother, where else do I draw my strength from in times of adversity? I am blessed to have a wonderful support network which includes, my husband, my children, my siblings and their spouses, nieces, nephews, friends and colleagues. And of course, I draw strength from my grandchildren.
Now that may sound absurd – drawing strength from little children who may or may not even understand what is happening when times are difficult. It doesn’t matter. They give me strength because they live, they laugh, and they love. Put all that together in a pair of puddle-jumping boots or behind a chocolate covered smile, and I have a reason to overcome whatever adversity stands before me and to go on living. They still need me.
What gives you strength?
Where do you go when you need strength to face adversity?
What experience unleashed strength that you did not know you had?
Who is your role model for being strong?
How do you pass your strength on to others?


No comments:

Post a Comment